Go to the U of M home page

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Statement from Chancellor Black re: DACA Decision

Dear Students, Faculty & Staff:

You should have received the message "The DACA decision and the University's stance" from University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler. I want to reiterate what President Kaler has said and express my disappointment in the Trump administration's decision to rescind the Deferred Access for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA program.

I have joined other Chancellors and Presidents across the country in expressing the importance of this program, including having signed on to the American Council on Education's letter of support.

I believe in the DACA program and I believe that these students, the Dreamers, bring tremendous value to our universities and communities. I am concerned for the individuals currently in the program and want to reiterate that UMD will do everything we can within the law to continue to provide support and an education to these students.

Students seeking support or more information should contact the Office of Diversity and Inclusion or Susana Pelayo-Woodward at swoodwar@d.umn.edu.

Sincerely,


Lendley Black
Chancellor