Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, November 4, 2021

News from Chancellor Black

Dear UMD Campus Community:

After twelve years as UMD’s Chancellor, I’m writing to inform you that I have decided to retire during the summer of 2022. President Gabel is sending a systemwide communication later this morning regarding my retirement and two other systemwide senior leadership changes. She is beginning a national search immediately for UMD’s next Chancellor with the goal of making a new appointment by the end of the spring semester. I will remain in my position until the new Chancellor is in place.

I thank you all for your support and for your outstanding work over the past twelve years. Together, we have experienced many accomplishments and persisted through one of the most challenging times in U.S. higher education history. I especially appreciate everyone’s work since the beginning of the pandemic, and I am pleased our COVID-19 cases continue to be low. 

UMD is a remarkable place, and we are blessed to live and work in a beautiful location with extraordinary natural resources all around us. I will miss you and the professional connections I have made on campus, in the Twin Ports community, and throughout the state and region. There is probably no ideal time to retire. But as I approach another milestone birthday next spring, Connie and I want more opportunities to spend time with our children and grandchildren in the Twin Cities and Massachusetts. We look forward to having more control over our schedules, more time with family, and greater opportunities to explore the United States and a few special international places. We plan to keep our home in Duluth and will find new ways to engage as private citizens with community groups and causes important to us.

Best wishes to you all,

Lendley C. Black
Chancellor