Go to the U of M home page

Friday, May 10, 2024

Welcome from Chancellor-Designate Charles Nies

 

Good morning, 

I am thrilled to reach out to all of you as the chancellor-designate following yesterday’s confirmation at the Board of Regents meeting. It is an honor to join this vibrant community, and I eagerly look forward to learning more about the remarkable activities happening at our university.

My family and I enjoyed a quick visit to Duluth earlier this week where I had a chance to prepare this short video greeting.

During my recent campus visit, I met with several leadership team members and explored the beautiful city of Duluth. Additionally, I spent a day on the Twin Cities campus, engaging in brief introductory meetings with members of the system leadership team. Although my official start date is July 1, I am already grateful for the insightful conversations and am excited about the collaborations ahead.

I extend my sincere gratitude to the search committee for their work throughout the selection process. To the entire campus community, thank you for the warm welcome—I am truly honored. I also want to express my appreciation to President Ettinger and the Board of Regents for this incredible opportunity and their ongoing commitment to UMD.

As we move forward, I eagerly anticipate meeting more of you and joining the campus community. Together, we will continue the great work that defines the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Wishing you all a wonderful start to your summer!

Best,

Charles Nies
Chancellor-Designate